Dr. Yu Acupuncture & Chinese Medicine, LLC
in Albuquerque & Rio Rancho, NM specializes in Oriental medicine. We are known for acupuncture, a popular Chinese treatment for various conditions. Acupuncture is done by inserting very fine needles to selected acupuncture points along the meridians of the body.What should I see an acupuncturist for?
There are a few reasons to consider this alternative treatment:
- When a patient has a condition that does not respond to conventional treatment, acupuncture is an option that could potentially provide an effective solution.
- Alternative medical options, such as acupuncture, provide a treatment option without drugs, undesirable side effects, or even unwanted surgery.
- Western drugs, which can be expensive, have side effects or interfere with one another, might not be desirable to the patient. Chinese medicine can treat these conditions in a way that avoids these drugs.
- The Patient might be seeking a more natural medical approach to healthcare.
How does acupuncture work?
- Traditional Chinese Medicine is based on an energetic model, instead the biochemical model of Western medicine. The ancient Chinese knew of the essential energy that is in all living things. This energy, which is called Qi (pronounced chee) exists throughout the body. Over thousands of year, the ancient physicians revealed cyclic energy flowing in the human body through specific channels. Each channel is associated with a certain internal system and organ. When the Qi in the pathways is obstructed, it can cause disease.
- These specific channels communicate with the body's surface at specific pinpoints (also known as acupuncture points). When needles are placed in these points, it can influence the Qi that flows to the internal systems of the body. Acupuncture can also target areas of pain resulting from injury or trauma. A needle placed close to the area of a strained muscle or tendon will redirect the Qi and nutrients to that area. This can reduce pain and accelerate the healing process.
- The acupuncture treatment can help stop pain, stimulate immune function, or even resolve phlegm issues. The treatment can also help with other functions, like treating rashes or constipation. Some of these target points are chosen by location; for example, using points on the back, legs, or shoulder to treat pain.
- Diagnosis through pulse and tongue, missed with findings gathered by research over similar symptoms and physical examinations, the acupuncturist determines the location of the affected Qi pathway. The acupuncturist will use this to create a treatment system to find a solution to the patient's condition.
- From western biomedical research, we know that acupuncture influences a number of physiological functions. Acupuncture can release endorphins (natural pain killing chemicals), restore proper circulation in diseased areas, stimulate hormonal glands, and improve immune system function.